Thursday, March 31, 2011

Get Ready for National Poetry Month!

April is National Poetry Month and one of my favorite months in the library! I just love reading and listening to poetry with my students this month! Some of my favorites are books by Shel Silverstein, J. Patrick Lewis, Jack Prelutsky, and Douglas Florian. Florian's newest poetry book is Poetrees. Each of the 18 poems celebrates the wonder of trees, from the giant sequoia (the world’s tallest trees) to the bristlecone pine, one of the oldest trees on earth. I think the children will like this as much as the teachers. Also great to lead into a lesson on plants and trees!


Here is a look inside the book.

Monkey Tree Puzzle
It's said that
a monkey could climb
Up this tree in the
Quickest of time.
But climbing back down
Without cracking
Its crown
Is a puzzle so hard,
It's a crime.

No comments:

Post a Comment